Memorise: The LORD maketh poor, and maketh rich: he bringth low, and lifeth up.
1st Samuel 2:7
Please Read: Hosea 5:3-9, 3 I know Ephraim, and Israel is not hid from me: for now, O Ephraim, thou committest whoredom, and Israel is defiled.
4 They will not frame their doings to turn unto their God: for the spirit of whoredoms is in the midst of them, and they have not known the Lord.
5 And the pride of Israel doth testify to his face: therefore shall Israel and Ephraim fall in their iniquity: Judah also shall fall with them.
6 They shall go with their flocks and with their herds to seek the Lord; but they shall not find him; he hath withdrawn himself from them.
7 They have dealt treacherously against the Lord: for they have begotten strange children: now shall a month devour them with their portions.
8 Blow ye the cornet in Gibeah, and the trumpet in Ramah: cry aloud at Bethaven, after thee, O Benjamin.
9 Ephraim shall be desolate in the day of rebuke: among the tribes of Israel have I made known that which shall surely be.
Bible in one year: Jeremiah 3:6-4:31, Acts 13:48-14:18
Let’s look at the life of Ephraim.
A man who was indeed a beneficiary of divine blessings.
· Jacob pronounced blessings to him (Genesis 48:20).
· David spoke about his greatness (Psalm 108:8) BUT
· Ephraim was disregarded (Jeremiah 7:15), joined himself to idols and God left him alone (Hosea 4:17).
· Idolatry; (when you give more honour, reverence and time to anything than you give to God). This can be in the form of your studies, career, hobbies and achievements etc.
· Idolatry is one of the archenemies of divine blessings. The Almighty God warned His people against idolatry in Exodus 20:3 saying:
“Thou shalt have no other gods before me.”
Father, today I pull down every strong altar I have erected to compete with you in my life, study, career in Jesus’ Name.